A course of driving lessons in Galway is highly recommended to ensure adequate time and preparation is given to learning to drive safely. Block lessons are available to accommodate the individual pupilís level of experience and learning requirements.
All topics and areas of examination are thoroughly covered throughout a course of lessons. Lessons are generally provided in the school car, but can also be provided in the pupils car.
At the Best West School of Motoring, pupils may wish to avail of our quality pre-test lessons in their own cars. Since we are training our customers for life-long and skillful driving, we have available dual-controlled cars for novice drivers.
Our cars are mid-sized vehicles and ideal for the learner drivers. We believe that after training in our dual-controlled school cars, the new driver can then easily adjust to a larger car or downgrade to a small hatchback without difficulty.
EDT (Essential Driver Training)
As of 4th April 2011, you must undertake the Essential Driver Training (EDT) before you can take the driving test. The driving trainer course of 12 lessons can only be taken with a qualified Instructor or ADI. The course is designed to cover the critical driving skills.
- Car Controls and Safety Checks
- Correct Positioning
- Changing Direction
- Progression Management
- Correct Positioning
- Anticipation and Reaction
- Sharing the Road
- Driving Safely through Traffic
- Changing Direction (More complex situations)
- Speed Management
- Driving Calmly
- Night Driving
After each EDT lesson the Driving Instructor will stamp the appropriate page of your logbook and give feedback on the lesson.
Remember that EDT is only part of the learning process, you will need lots of practice and will need more lesson with an ADI to become a safe driver.
If the issue date of your first B category (Car) learner permit is on or after 4 April 2011, in order to be able to sit your full driving test, you must first complete all EDT lessons.
If you are not required to complete EDT, you may still choose to take an EDT course, as it can help increase your chances of passing the driving test and will help make you a better and safer driver.
As we all know the volume of traffic around Galway (and indeed all Irish cities) has increased dramatically over the last number of years. We offer a refresher course to people who, for various reasons, are nervous about driving in the city.
(1) New residents in the city, who would like to become familiar with roundabouts ñ e.g. Galway Shopping Centre Roundabout and gain a familiarity with driving in the city.
(2) People who may not have had the need to drive regularly in the city and would like just a little encouragement to help them contend with increased volume
Remember that confidence in knowing the proper driving procedures increases your competence and safety on the roads, and the best route to knowing these procedures is through a trained instructor.
Everyone whether a beginner or long time driver should familiarise themselves with the Rules of the Road: http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie
The Best West School of Motoring School Services and Facilities
- Beginner and nervous drivers welcome
- Driving lessons available in your own vehicle
- Modern dual controlled car provided for driving lessons
- Motorway driving lessons provided
- Night time driving lessons provided
- One-to-one driving tuition provided
- Pre-test driving lessons provided
- All instructors RSA registered and approved
- Door to door pick up and return service provided
- EDT car driving course of 12 driving lessons provided
- EDT car driving lessons (Cat B)
- Manual car driving lessons (Cat B)
- Mock driving test provided
- Vehicle hire available for driving test
***** IMPORTANT *****
You must carry your driving permit
with you on all lessons.